Sunday, April 10, 2016

Someday My Prince Will Come

{Image Source}
“Someday my prince will come, Someday we'll meet again
And away to his castle we'll go, To be happy forever I know”
                                                                                                                -Snow White

Yeah, I was that girl; the twirl-y skirt, plastic crown, wannabe princess kind of girl. I absolutely loved Aurora, Belle, Odette, and Rapunzel. I had every song to every classic Disney princess movie memorized; still do actually… When Snow White sang that song (in her insanely high pitched voice, mind you) my little 7 year old heart filled with the hope that one day my prince WOULD come.
Well, I’m not 7 anymore. That pure, innocent, hope that once filled me has been checked with a good ole dose of reality. Sorry, that sounds awfully depressing; but it isn’t really.

Yes, I have come to grips with the fact that Prince Charming isn’t out there right now with my shoe searching for me.  I have accepted the truth that the literal (although animated) Prince Derick isn’t bravely fighting off the “Great Animal” that poses as my fiercest threat. Beast isn’t gonna come running if Gaston decides to show up.  Not even good old Flynn Rider will run to my rescue with his trusty frying pan.  Wanna know why? Cause they’re not real. 

Ladies, there’s a strong possibility that you can relate, even in a slight way, to some of this. Almost every little girl dreams of her future prince.  We lie in bed at night and plan our fairytale wedding- every detail from the style of our dress to the favors on the table. Everything would be great except the harsh reality of reality usually breaks though at some point and steals some of our sparkle. We realize that life isn’t all song and “Bippity Boppitty Boo.”  “Whistle while you work” becomes more like freak out while trying to juggle it all. Our eyes are opened to the fact that most guys act more like the leading villain than a valiant prince; and here we’re left… waiting.

THERE IS HOPE, my friends, and it came over 2,000 years ago in the form of a baby. You see, girls, even if it’s not in the grand plan of our life to ever meet “The One”, God still provided a prince to rescue us; that “prince” being the true Son of the King of Kings- Jesus.

Jesus came to save us from our sins, sure! But He also came to redeem us, to buy us back from our father the devil. He came to make our adoption possible.  He came to transform us, the spiritually adulterous wretches that we are, into the spotless, innocent, bride that He will one day present before His Father.  That’s Awesome!

And you know what, girls? I pray for my future husband almost every day.  Those dreams that indwelt a certain 7 year old girl are still very much alive in my prayers. The only difference is that I don’t ask God to give my future husband the dashing looks of Flynn or the tenacity of Derick. No, not at all actually. Rather I pray that my future husband has the qualities of our true Prince- of Jesus.

·         I pray that he has patience, like Jesus did with the demanding crowds around Him. [Mark 19:19]

·          I pray that he has boldness, as Jesus showed when He called the Pharisees “white washed tombs.” [Matthew 23:17]

·          I pray that he always values our God more than earthly wealth, just like Jesus told the rich young ruler. [Matthew 19:21]

·         I pray that he fulfills his role as husband, just like Christ did/is doing for the Church. [Ephesians 5:21-33]

(And many more…)

I’m sure that there’ll be times where my man truly does seem like a prince charming; and then there’ll be times where my prince seems like anything but.  It’ll be in those moments when he puts the roll of toilet paper on backwards that I’ll have to love him anyway. It’ll be in the times where his decision isn’t even close to what I would’ve chosen that I’ll still have to be the submissive wife in Ephesians 5. It’ll be during the nights that he’s just so grumpy that I’ll have to pray all that patience on me. But he’ll still be my prince. He’ll still be the man that God gave me.  When I pray for him each day, I pray for me too.

So, I guess I’ll go back to my original quote. “Someday my prince WILL come.” Whether that prince will come first in the man that God is preparing me for, or in the glorious face of Jesus, I’m not certain. One thing that is for sure is that I’m gonna be waiting for whoever God sees fit to send first!  

No comments:

Post a Comment