Sunday, May 1, 2016

Who Am I?

{Image Source} 
I was blessed to speak at a young woman's seminar over the weekend. The theme essentially was our identity in Christ, and I was the opening act. I really prayed to The Lord about what He would have me say to these impressionable young girls, and He answered. He's told me to share some of that time with you young women now. I prayed to open the session and then wrote three simple words across the top of the white board: "Who Am I?" 



We may not always realize it, but the answer to that question is very important to us. Have you ever looked in the mirror when you first woke up, got one glimpse of your messed up hair and sleepy eyes and asked "Who even is that person?" Or maybe you've stood in the midst of your peers as they rattled off the itinerary of their next 50 years and thought "But I don't even know who I am yet." I know I have. A good portion of my early teen years were encompassed by trying to answer that question. I knew that I wanted to be me, I just didn't know who "me" was yet. 

I was looking for my identity. 

Identity is a tricky thing. We try to quickly establish another person's identity with a simple "Hello, my name is... What's yours?" But that always falls flat. We can hardly do anything nowadays without showing proof that we are who we claim to be. I mean, let's take you and me for example. I can introduce myself. You now know my name. I can even go so far as to say that I'm a daughter, a sibling, a cousin, a friend, a citizen of the United States, a registered voter, an obligated taxpayer, a licensed driver, an employee to suchandsuch a place, and an employee to somewhere else; but does that really tell you anything? Yes, those may all be facts; but could you order a burger for me just the way I like it only by looking at those? No. Could you judge if I'd like the lavender sweater or the indigo one better? No. Can you determine if I prefer rainy days or sunny ones, jeans or sweatpants, ice cream or pizza just by looking at those facts? No again. You see, our identity is so much more than a face and a name. It's your traits, your beliefs, your interests- the qualities that make you YOU! 

It's not always easy to see the whole picture of what our identity is. Oftentimes, in an attempt to find that identity we look to our surroundings for guidance. We then allow those surroundings to have influence on our identity. Things like fashion trends, social media, celebrity opinions, popular tv, friends, and our peers in general have been given the power (by us) to change how it is that we see ourselves. 

Sometimes those influences can be good, but more often than not they are sending a negative message about what our identity should look like. Would you do me a favor? I'd like you, for a moment, to remember every negative and hurtful word that someone has said about you. Have you ever been called "Ugly"? Remember that. Ever been compared to an animal? Remember that, too. It doesn't even have to be something said about/to you. Have you ever compared yourself to a magazine model? How did you measure yourself up? Too fat or too thin? Too tall or too short? Was your nose too big, or did your ears stick out? Did you mentally notice every blemish? Yeah. I've been there. 

Now, would you do for me one more thing? Imagine that you're standing in front of a mirror. Now imagine that each of those hurtful words and phrases are written in permanent black across that mirror. Can you see yourself clearly through them? No.  Those words alter how it is that you see yourself. This is the way it is with our heart. If we allow those hurtful things to be written on our hearts, then we can't see our identity without seeing their ugliness. 

Is there any hope? 

YES! 

As believers, we can go to God's word and see exactly how it is that HE sees us. Those other influences don't hold a candle of importance when compared to what God has to say about us. 

Genesis 1:26-27 says that we are MADE IN THE IMAGE OF GOD. We are a reflection of God, so we've got to be BEAUTIFUL! 

Psalm 139:13-16 declares that HE MADE US WONDERFULLY! Even inside our mother's wombs He was forming us to be the beautiful representations of Him that we are. 

Isaiah 43:1-7 assures us that GOD IS GLORIFIED BY US. We are His creation and He made us "good". 

1 Peter 2:4 states that WE ARE PRECIOUS TO GOD. As His children, we are cherished by the Living God! Doesn't that make you feel special? 

Psalm 139:1-6 reminds us that GOD KNOWS ALL ABOUT US. Nothing we do, good or bad, will surprise Him or take Him off guard. This means that we can bring all of our fears, struggles, and failures to Him and He won't view us any differently!

Jeremiah 31:3 promises that GOD LOVES US! His love is everlasting- with no beginning or end. Not at any point will He just decide to stop loving us.

And...

John 3:16 tells us that GOD LOVES US ^THIS^ MUCH! He sent His one and only Son, Jesus, to take our punishment for sin. So that if we accept His free gift of salvation, and make Him our Lord- allowing Him to change our life, then we can be presented to God as holy and perfect. Therefore receiving the blessing of eternal life with God. AWESOME!

Ladies, when we accept these promises as our own, we can see ourselves clearly again! We can see the whole picture of our identity! We don't have to constantly compare and condemn ourselves with others and their hurtful words anymore! We Are FREE! And if we truly are born again, then God gives us a new mirror to see ourselves through. All those ugly words are washed away and we are enabled to see ourselves as the precious, wonderful, purposeful, Spirit-filled beauties that we are! 

"This means that anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!" 2 Corinthians 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment