Monday, November 28, 2016

I Don't Date

{Source}

I don't date.

Maybe I should rephrase myself. I don't play the culturally-outlined dating game.

Before you close this internet tab and write me off as a psycho, hear me out.

I have a confession to make- I am already so in love with my future husband.

I don't know who he is.
I don't know if we've ever met.
I don't know his hair color, or eye color.
I honestly don't know anything about him.

But I love him, and I've promised to be faithful to him.

With all that being said, we were talking about dating, were we not?

To date or not to date? It's honestly really sad that we as a people even need to ask ourselves this question at all. Not but a hundred years ago dating was almost unheard of. Before I go any further, let me get you up to speed on just what I mean by dating--

A date is often described as a singular romantic event which may or may not lead to future romantic events. [See the Urban Dictionary for full definition] There's not a whole lot of commitment to that. How many times have you seen people change their relationship status on social media? One day they're in a relationship with so-and-so, and then a week later they're single again along with some heartbreak post. You've seen it. I know I have- plenty of times. That's what I'm talking about here.

That kind of on and off relationship isn't just sad, it's harmful. To constantly be dabbling in a zone where lines between friend and something more are fuzzy, and no goal to strive for, is dangerous and irresponsible. That's where my problem with dating lies. I believe that if you're mature enough to begin a relationship, then you're mature enough to set boundaries and goals.

The secular form of dating, which we defined earlier as a romantic social event with no set goal in mind, is one that mimics drift wood lost at sea. It has no say over where it goes, rather it gets knocked around here and there wherever the tide and waves send it. When we, as humans, enter into such a relationship, we're allowing emotion and circumstance to toss us about every which way; and then, if ever we emerge from such an unforgiving sea, we are left with a battered heart and empty gain. I don't want that for me or my future husband.

If I, like I mentioned earlier, am to remain faithful to my future husband even before we meet then I most certainly can't play heart games with just any passing wave (if you know what I mean). Does this mean that I'm closed off to relationships? Certainly not! I welcome friendships from genuine people. If it be the Lord's will for any said friendship to grow into something more, than that's something my guy friend will need to take up with my dad. :)

Seriously, I value relationships. I don't take friendships lightly, so I'm certainly not going to take any other relationship lightly either! I believe in purity. I believe in boundaries. I believe in saving your first kiss (and anything more) for marriage. I believe in a strong family involvement, on both sides, to keep accountability. I believe in keeping the Lord first in every moment, and always seeking His will before moving forward.

 So, I don't date.

I don't date because it's all just a game rigged to mess with your heart. I don't date because it steals away too much emotionally. I don't date because it is a disservice to anyone else that comes after.  I don't date because there doesn't have to be any intention to it. I don't date because I know that I am more valuable than that. (I'll expound upon that thought at a later time.)

I don't date, but yet I wait. What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment