Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Take My Hand, Precious Lord

{Image Source}

"Precious Lord, take my hand,
Lead me on, Let me stand.
I am tired. I am weak. I am worn."
[Thomas Andrew Dorsey, 1938]

I am tired. I am weak. I am worn. 
You know, y'all. I really am.

So, 2017 has been a year of realizations for me.
  • Full-Time work is exhausting
  • Coffee really is wonderful.
  • Literally NOTHING is free but God's grace.
  • Sleep is optional. -->
  • So are actual meals, apparently.
  • Love your family. Most "friends" are fakers.
  • People WILL use you if you don't stand up for yourself.
  • Heartache sucks. It hurts bad... ... ...

Honestly, my year has made most roller-coasters look like kiddie rides. I've been through wonderful high highs, crazy corkscrews, insane inversions, loop-after-loop-after-loop, and some pretty wicked downhills. I feel like I've been through extra rounds in a boxing ring; and dodging punches gets exhausting after a while. 

As I look back over the events of the past few months, I can't help but let out a deep sigh. 
So. Much. Has. Happened. 

And really, I'm not sure just what God is up to.

Have you ever felt like that? Like you've been fighting and fighting to keep your head above water for so long; and, when you finally have a chance to catch your breath, you look back on what all you've been through thinking "What even just happened? God, what the world are You doing?" 

I've spent nights literally crying out to Him in confusion. "God! What are You doing? What is Your plan for all this?"

Uncertainty will take a toll on anyone. Thankfully, the Lord has blessed me with a few times of peace though all this craziness. I'm getting the feeling, however, that those are just rest plazas on the highway toward something else.

And speaking of roadways, I was driving the other night. It was dark, unusually dark out for the time of night it was, and everything was dauntingly silent except for the playlist of hymns that I was jamming through the bluetooth of my car's stereo. For whatever reason, I didn’t have my high-beams on and I found it really hard to see much of the road ahead of me. It was dark (again I say), the lines of the back-country roads I was driving on were faint; overall it was just hard to see, and I got to thinking- this road resembled my life right now. 

I'll dare admit that the roadway of this journey that the Lord is having me walk right now is hard to see.I don't know what's ahead of me. I can barely make out the lines that I'm supposed to stay between. Even when I attempt to look in my rearview, nothing is easy to make out. It's like I'm continually moving forward, but I'm never really certain of  where I'm headed or what lies before me. Even the road signs are illegible until I'm right up on them.

Have you ever felt that way? Almost like you've been blindfolded and are being led somewhere. You're expected to keep walking, but instinctively you're hesitant and groping around for some firm structure to support yourself with.  This feeling, this uncertainty, is the root of my weariness- I believe. 

Jesus Himself speaks on this topic a bit, as recorded in Matthew. He says to us-->
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” [Matthew 11:28-30]

I'm gonna be real honest with you for a second, when I first re-read this verse I was like "Say what?! Come on Jesus, we both know that there is NOTHING easy or light about this Christian life." (Yep, I legit thought that.) Jesus even tells us, as recorded in John, "In this world you will have trouble." [John 16:33]. No part of this faith-walk is all fluffy rainbows and sparkly unicorns. No part. Does Jesus contradict Himself? Does Jesus promise an easy, burden-free, walk and then proclaim otherwise later? No. Not at all.

That verse in John goes on to say "These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.” [John 16:33]

Matthew records Him saying "Come to Me." [11:28] 

You see, y’all, I’ve realized that when I try to drive that crazy dark and hard to see back road by myself, it’s exhausting. When I try to grope about behind my blindfold alone, it’s so wearisome. Yes, life is full of hardships. Jesus said that. BUT He didn’t stop there. He says that, if we come to HIM in the midst of those hardships and troublesome circumstances, HE WILL GIVE US REST! We will have peace when we are IN HIM!

“He”, Jesus, being the main proponent of that statement. How do you think those souls became “weary and heavy-laden” in the first place? I’d be willing to bet it’s because they didn’t come to Him when the trouble started. Perhaps they tried to carry their burden all alone and wore themselves out? (I might as well have "Guilty" written all over my forehead for that one!)

Like me the other night, once I turned my high-beams on then the road became easier to see. I didn’t have perfect clarity, the darkness didn't dissipate all of a sudden, but I had  enough that I wasn’t white-knuckling the steering wheel anymore.  And even now, as I bury my heart within the shelter of the Lord's embrace, I have felt a quiet- a peace, that offers a bit more clarity, a bit more brightness, to the uncertainty of the situation around me. 

Jesus never promises to *take away* all of our burdens, but rather that we won't have to carry them alone. He'll "Never leave [us] or forsake [us]". [Hebrews 13:5b] He wants us to trust Him. He wanted us to confide in Him. He wants us to bring to Him all of our burdens and fears and each seemingly-miniscule thing that weighs us down. 

Psalm 23 has been a beautiful balm to my weary soul, as of late; saying -->

"The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
3 He restores my soul;
He guides me in the paths of righteousness
For His name’s sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."

Go to Jesus, my friends. Go to Him and allow Him to ease your burden. Allow Him to give you rest. He’s offering it.


“Precious Lord, Take my hand.
Lead me on, Let me stand.
I am tired. I am weak. I am worn.
Through the storm, through the night,
Lead me on to the light.
Take my hand, Precious Lord, lead me home .”

Let Jesus lead you.                                                                           [Thomas Andrew Dorsey, 1938]

No comments:

Post a Comment